Abusua Hyebea (copied from old site)  

RSS
(@akua_maat)
BlackTacular Afrikan Registered
Abibitumi Newbie
Abibisika (BlackGold Points):0

Posted by Akhu Yaw on November 30, 2009

"The process of the development, the completion and the actualization of the mission statement is one of the defining features of reAfrikanization and nationbuilding."
~Kwame Agyei & Akua Nson Akoto, The Sankɔfa movement

Mekyea mo Abibifoɔ.

Mewɔ asεmmisa. Mepa mo kyεw sε meka borɔfo. What are the Afrikan commitments that we feel are necessary for a strong Afrikan relationship? In other words, what are the commitments that you would add to an Abusua Hyebea (or family mission)?

Below are excerpts from the Baruti Abusua Hyebea (can be found at the back of the book Complementarity):

OUR FAMILY MISSION STATEMENT

As an Afrikan family in the Western cultural wasteland, we recognize and accept the responsibilities of ReAfrikanization. The Creaor, Spirit, The Ancestors and Elders have called us to find our path toward the Afrikan Way. In fulfilling this missioin, we pledge to pursue the following necessary Afrikan absolutes:

--We will rear our children in the Afrikan Way without compromise
--We will master the skills required for self-sufficiency
--We will embrace our heritage by reclaiming an Afrikan name, language and spiritual sytem
--As Warrior Scholars, we will never forget who our enemies are (regardless of color)

"Do not misuse your time while following your heart, for it is offensive to the soul to waste one's time." ~ Ptahhotep
"A man's mind is elevated to the status of the women he associates with." ~ Alexandre Dumas
"If another people rest on your ignorance--and they do--they will educate you into ignorance."- Dr. Amos Wilson

Posted : 04/08/2010 7:38 pm
(@akua_maat)
Abibitumi Newbie

Reply by Akhu Yaw on November 30, 2009 at 10:47pm

I would add:

>We will learn an Afrikan language and only speak to each other in that language
>We will not have children until we have acquired an Afrikan language that we can speak to them in. And once they are born, we will only speak to them in that (those) Afrikan language(s).

"Do not misuse your time while following your heart, for it is offensive to the soul to waste one's time." ~ Ptahhotep
"A man's mind is elevated to the status of the women he associates with." ~ Alexandre Dumas
"If another people rest on your ignorance--and they do--they will educate you into ignorance."- Dr. Amos Wilson

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/08/2010 7:39 pm
(@akua_maat)
Abibitumi Newbie

Reply by Empress Divine ~ Aisha on December 8, 2009 at 2:01pm

"What are the Afrikan commitments that we feel are necessary for a strong Afrikan relationship?"

- a commitment to living an Afrikan centered life and, therefore, to the continuous evaluation, learning, relearning, yurugu mental cleansing kwk that is required of people truly committed to reAfrikanizing themselves.

- a commitment to adhering to a traditional Afrikan spiritual system in its purest, least contaminated form.

- a commitment to support and encourage each other in all efforts aimed at abibifahodie (Afrikan liberation) and nation building, knowing that such efforts will necessarily result in a significant amount of time and energy devoted to the abibifahodie and nation (re)building efforts and possibly diverted from the union/partner.

- a commitment to the revolutionary act of building and maintaining a Ma'atic union with each other using the 7 principles of Ma'at (truth, justice, righteousness, order, harmony, reciprocity, balance), the 42 Laws of Ma'at, the wisdom of our asafo elders and nananom nsamanfo, and any other Afrikan source to guide our interaction with each other.

- a commitment to creating and rearing our children to be thoroughly Afrikan and providing a safe, totally Afrikan environment for them to be born and grow in. this includes a commitment to treating sex as a divine, sacred act that may result in the creation of life; home or birthing center natural birth with an Afrikan midwife, ensuring that the first hands to touch our living suns and the first faces they see are Afrikan (unless birth complications dictate otherwise); home schooling our children if necessary to ensure they are taught from our cultural context

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/08/2010 7:39 pm
(@agbede)
BlackErrific Afrikan Registered
Abibitumi Newbie
Abibisika (BlackGold Points):1

Akua Ma'at;40366 wrote: Posted by Akhu Yaw on November 30, 2009

"The process of the development, the completion and the actualization of the mission statement is one of the defining features of reAfrikanization and nationbuilding."
~Kwame Agyei & Akua Nson Akoto, The Sankɔfa movement

Mekyea mo Abibifoɔ.

Mewɔ asεmmisa. Mepa mo kyεw sε meka borɔfo. What are the Afrikan commitments that we feel are necessary for a strong Afrikan relationship? In other words, what are the commitments that you would add to an Abusua Hyebea (or family mission)?

Below are excerpts from the Baruti Abusua Hyebea (can be found at the back of the book Complementarity):

OUR FAMILY MISSION STATEMENT

As an Afrikan family in the Western cultural wasteland, we recognize and accept the responsibilities of ReAfrikanization. The Creaor, Spirit, The Ancestors and Elders have called us to find our path toward the Afrikan Way. In fulfilling this missioin, we pledge to pursue the following necessary Afrikan absolutes:

--We will rear our children in the Afrikan Way without compromise
--We will master the skills required for self-sufficiency
--We will embrace our heritage by reclaiming an Afrikan name, language and spiritual sytem
--As Warrior Scholars, we will never forget who our enemies are (regardless of color)

What are the commitments that you would add to an Abusua Hyebea (or family mission)?

Online Tutorials
| Educational Products | Engineering Resources
"Woansi wo dan yie a, na wosuro mu nna."

​​

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/12/2011 7:46 pm
(@Ekundayo)
BlackStanding Afrikan Registered
Abibitumi Newbie

Thank you for this Akua. The mission statement is a critical feature of African familial (and personal) development. It is something that is strongly encouraged here at Egbe Ijoba. In fact, it is or can be one of the more important tool used to gauge the validity of a relationship. When you join an organization or a society you should ask what is your mission statement. Likewise, when you meet a person and are beginning to become serious with them you need to ask "where is and what is your mission statement. It is after the coming together and the formation of family where the family mission statement is created and implemented. I am in my regular process of assessing and reviewing my personal mission statement. I strongly encourage everyone to do the same.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/12/2011 12:36 am
(@akua_maat)
Abibitumi Newbie

This isn't my post bro. I simply copied it from the now defunct Melanin Goddezz Revolutionary Singles site. The post is actually bro Akhu's who is well deserving of your thanks.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/12/2011 4:16 am
 asarhondo
(@asarhondo)

>We will learn an Afrikan language and only speak to each other in that language
>We will not have children until we have acquired an Afrikan language that we can speak to them in. And once they are born, we will only speak to them in that (those) Afrikan language(s).

These are some tough goals to accomplish but they are worthwhile and possible. Oddly I was thinking at one time that I would marry a Zulu woman and she would teach my child the language, then I thought, how would I communicate with my offspring? So much work to do so little time.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/12/2011 4:43 am
(@akua_maat)
Abibitumi Newbie

not as big a task as you may think bro. the classes offered here (i know Zulu isn't one of them) can have students conversational in a matter of weeks. the biggest challenge i encountered when learning was not having someone i could speak with to practice (and solidify) what i was learning. however if a couple set the goal of both learning an Afrikan language before having children it would be easier (and potentially) quicker for them to achieve that goal together as they would have each other to practice with.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/12/2011 5:15 am
(@scamara)
Abibitumi Newbie
Abibisika (BlackGold Points):15

ekundayo;48047 wrote: Thank you for this Akua. The mission statement is a critical feature of African familial (and personal) development. It is something that is strongly encouraged here at Egbe Ijoba. In fact, it is or can be one of the more important tool used to gauge the validity of a relationship. When you join an organization or a society you should ask what is your mission statement. Likewise, when you meet a person and are beginning to become serious with them you need to ask "where is and what is your mission statement. It is after the coming together and the formation of family where the family mission statement is created and implemented. I am in my regular process of assessing and reviewing my personal mission statement. I strongly encourage everyone to do the same.

My brotha, you absolutely right with that one. I am learning my lessons. Missions must be aligned. Indeed! Revolutionary Love! :afrika:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/12/2011 9:17 pm
(@agbede)
BlackErrific Afrikan Registered
Abibitumi Newbie
Abibisika (BlackGold Points):1

A mission statement is useless if it is not adhered to. With a family mission statement, it is up to the members of the family to hold each other (and themselves) accountable to the mission. But, sometimes holding someone accountable may be perceived as criticism. What are some ways that family members can hold each other accountable to the mission while not seeming condescending and condemnatory?

Online Tutorials
| Educational Products | Engineering Resources
"Woansi wo dan yie a, na wosuro mu nna."

​​

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/01/2012 7:14 pm
(@agya_yaw)
Most BlackNificent Afrikan! Registered
Abibitumi Newbie

@Akhu I don't know of any other way but having a community to check each person on whether they are adhering to the agree upon mission statement. I see it very hard for two people be the only one's that hold each other accountable without some tension eventually coming into play. Very hard without community support. Of course if they both stay on mission no problems either way.
:gyenyame:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/01/2012 1:06 pm
(@Ekundayo)
Abibitumi Newbie

Akhu, I very much agree that a mission statement is only as good as the adherence to it by the parties involved. However, you have to have a mission in order to have a mission to adhere to. A mission statement is crucial to any family or organization.

Yaw, in my opinion, it is not the function of any community or society to hold a family to said family's mission statement. However, it is the function of a community or society to support and serve as a means of accountability to each family and to keep the agreements they made as a member of said community or society. My family's mission is my family's mission. It can change everyday if we choose, however, the issue becomes when my family goes against or no longer chooses to live by the mission of the community or society.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/01/2012 7:35 pm
(@agya_yaw)
Most BlackNificent Afrikan! Registered
Abibitumi Newbie

Ekundayo, I agree I think we are saying the same thing, so let me elaborate. I believe that a family mission should be in concert with said community's mission. So I believe the community has to play some part in accountability to the family mission, how much I don't know. It could be some trusted group or consul that mediates if things go awry with the family mission.

With the state of our communities now it's very to easy to make promises/committments and quit them with no type of repercussions from family or community. Unfortunately I have seen this scenario played out multiple times. It's probably safe to say we all have.

It's extremely problematic but I don't see how one can live and succeed without the other (family & community missions and accountability). This is of course all in context of reAfrikanization.
:gyenyame:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/01/2012 8:51 pm
Share: