Forum2018-04-21T01:13:09+00:00

Looking for a PhD program in Africana studies or Art.  

RSS
(@kreative_force)
BlackCredible Afrikan Registered
Abibitumi Newbie
Abibisika (Black Gold):13

Greetsings, 

I am currently at a crossroads, and looking for any insight and advice you all could give about PhD programs. I'll soon have my M.F.A. in Media Design completed in a few months. To be blunt I've had ALOT of struggles with anti-Afrikan & uncle tom professors which has hindered my academic progress greatly ($$$).  My undergrad degree was in Sequential Art to give a little bit of background. 

It is my hope that by switching to a focus in Afrikana studies I can be where my presence & views (which are transmited via my artwork) are celebrated, not just tolerated. Being fully funded is also a major issue as most of my loanable amount from the federal gov is spent.

thus far I've considered:

University of West Indies, Mona Jamaica

University of Ghana

(fully funded programs)

Brown University

Temple University

U Penn

I would like to do my dissertation on treating Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome with Afrikan Art Therapy administered through the physical & visual art mediums. The physical art medium of intrest to me is Trinidad Kalinda aka stick-licking (requires travel to Trinidad to study the art in depth). With the visual art medium being sequential art/ animation respectively. Connections between Kalinda & stick fighting (flag waving?) arts in Ghana is a possible sub-topic.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/06/2018 2:14 pm Kwadwo Tòkunbọ̀ liked
(@obadelekambon)
Most BlackNificent Afrikan! Admin
Abibifahodie Wura!
Abibisika (Black Gold):7340

Greetings, 

Reach out to @@Efo_Sela and @Mansa_Kankan_Musa as they are both in the Art program at the Institute of African Studies at the University of Ghana and would be able to provide some guidance. 

With regard to your topic, I would advise that you rethink the use of "Post Traumatic" given that post denotes something that is over, which is incorrect. The trauma is still ongoing as is the enslavement. I've written on this here:  https://obadelekambon.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/8.7-5-Obadele.pdf

Apart from nomenclature issues, your topic sounds intriguing and promises to be an innovative contribution to Afrikan=Black liberation. 

Ma ku Mbôngi, ka matômbulawanga za ko. "The community's political institution does not borrow foreign dialects to discuss its political matters or to educate its' members" – Kikôngo proverb “The history of Africa will remain suspended in air and cannot be written correctly until African historians connect it with the history of Egypt [...] The African historian who evades the problem of Egypt is neither modest or objective, nor unruffled, he is ignorant, cowardly, and neurotic.” – Cheikh Anta Diop, The African Origin of Civilization: Myth or Reality "African champions must break the chain that links African ideas to European ones and listen to the voice of the ancestors without European interpreters." – Jacob Carruthers, Mdw Ntr
Ọbádélé Kambon, PhD Email: info@abibitumi.com Skype: obadele.kambon Paypal: www.paypal.me/akali Abibifahodie Family of Websites:
www.obadelekambon.com | www.abibitumikasa.com | www.abibifahodie.com | www.abibifahodie.org www.sankofajourney.com | www.letsbuyblack.com | www.asaseheals.com www.kamaukambon.org | www.amakambon.com | www.bennucenter.com www.nubusinesssolutions.com | www.onipa.com | www.lastblackman.com

Ọbádélé Kambon's Personal app for Android
Abibitumi Kasa Social Education Network App for Android
Abibitumi Chat App for Android
Abibitumi Chat App for iOS

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/07/2018 2:10 am
(@kreative_force)
BlackCredible Afrikan Registered
Abibitumi Newbie
Abibisika (Black Gold):13

Thank you brother!

I will contact those that you've mentioned.  I must agree that the "post" in Dr DeGruy's PTSS research did seem a bit odd for the reasons you stated. I'm sure I'll come up with a recognizable way to reference, and rephrase it in my work. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/07/2018 9:46 am Kwadwo Tòkunbọ̀ liked

Leave a reply

Maximum allowed file size is 128 MB

Share:

Contact Info

#2 Kwatei Asuasa, West Legon

Phone: +233249195150 | +233240872928

Mobile: +19199267097

Fax: 458 761-9562

Web: Abibitumi.com

Recent Posts

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Working

Please Login or Register