The African influence on Spanish culture  

Page 3 / 3
  RSS
(@dessalinesthabrave)
BlackDerful Afrikan Registered

Ibn Rushd or better known as Averroes was a very influential medieval Moorish intellect who founded Averroism. He was a scholar of many subjects such as philosophy, theology, medicine, astronomy, physics, language and Islamic law. He was born in Cordoba (1126) to a prominent Moorish family who were known for their legal and religious services. Averroes lived during the time of the transition between the two African dynasties of Spain known as the Almoravids and the Almohads. Favored by the upper class of these dynasties, he would attend meetings with the leading scholars and rulers of the empire. Averroes was also known in Europe as "The Commentator" because of his critical commentary of Greek and Arabic writers. His most famous commentary was on the works of Aristotle. These commentaries began the reawakening of Europe's interest in ancient Greek literature. His thoughts also created great controversy in christian Europe and brought about the philosophical movement called Averroism. One of his main teachings was "The unity of the intellect" which inspired many, including the political ideas of Dante Alighieri. Without a doubt Averroes was the last of the great medieval Islamic scholars.

Averroes+ +miniatuur

This portrait comes from the Averroes manuscript. (Averroes is depicted as a typical black African) This is the oldest Authenticated portrait of Averroes. (the white portrait of him cannot not be confirmed)

portrait source: Vatican City, Biblioteca Apostolica Vaticana, Urb. lat. 220
Averroes-Manuscript

http://dare.uni-koeln.de/sourceviewer?type=ms&docid=280

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/06/2019 11:50 pm
 Celia Abdullah-baker
(@Celia Abdullah-baker)

I greatly appreciate this information.  Please send me as much information as you can on Ziryab.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/08/2019 10:20 am
(@dessalinesthabrave)

what is it that you would like to know about Ziryab?

Do you want primary sources?

Secondary sources?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/09/2019 11:27 pm
(@dessalinesthabrave)

Alfonzo Gonzalez, Spanish republican internee, after spending many months in a french concentration camp was forced to accept his African ties.

“The French who said Africa begins at the Pyrenees’ were right…. Ive been in Africa, and I can assure you that yes, our Pyrenees separate the world of hospitality from the rest of inhospitable Europe… I tell you, I hate France… I will never forgive them for what they are doing to us in these damned concentration camps.” Alfonzo Gonzalez the Spanish republican internee, a letter from the camp of septfonds in november 1939.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/09/2019 11:42 pm
(@dessalinesthabrave)

John VI king of Portugal and king of Brazil was described by the duchess of Abrantes as having African hair, lips and nose.

“I had not then seen the prince of Brazil (John VI), therefore I could not laugh as I afterwards did, when I beheld his corpulent figure, clumsy legs, and his enormous head, muffled in a hussar uniform. His Negro hair, (which by the bye was in perfect keeping with his thick lips and African nose and swarthy color), was well powdered, and pomatumed, and tied in a thick queue.” Pg 225

She also describes the people of Portugal as being Africanized

The Portuguese have thick lips, noses something of the negro form, black and often curly hair: and their figures, and above all their hands, show signs of the mixed blood.” Pg 204

Memoirs of the Duchess D'Abrantès: (Madame Junot)

By Laure Junot Abrantès (duchesse d')

dom joao vi

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/10/2019 12:23 am
(@dessalinesthabrave)

“There can be no doubt that the Portuguese, the Spaniards, and the Neapolitans, are still highly tinged with Negro blood; and that the Pyrenees and Alps alone are the real boundaries of color.” The annals of Jamaica, Volume 2 By George Wilson Bridges pg 399

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/10/2019 12:35 am
(@dessalinesthabrave)

Chafariz d’El Rey, c. 1570 80 (Colecção Berardo)

The Chafariz d'El-Rey (King's Fountain) in the Alfama District, Lisbon. Netherlandish, ca. 1570-80.

"O Chafariz d'El-Rei", no bairro de Alfama, em Lisboa. Flamengo, cerca de 1570-80.

Notice the heavy African presence in Portugal

main qimg c56e6a7430a7ad4cd93fb270e92a6b6d

African noble man

blacks and jews 16th

African being seized by Jews(?).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/15/2019 3:29 am
(@dessalinesthabrave)

Yusuf ibn tashfin the Sultan of Africa and conqueror of Christian Spain was described as "Dark skinned (Black), middle height, skinny and woolly haired."according to the Roudh al Qartas 1326.

Fun fact: Yusuf ibn tashfin who was of Senegalese descent led an army of Senegalese across the desert to invade north Africa and eventually Spain (they were known as the Almoravid or Al marabouts).

Fun Fact: the African Muslims called the Europeans "pigs"

Fun Fact: the most intense battle in Spanish history was the battle of Sagraja or Zallaqa (Arabic meaning slippery from the blood shed on the ground) where more then 60,000 Spaniards died from Yusuf ibn tashfin's African army.

Fun Fact: During the Battle of Zallaqa, Yusuf ibn tashfin  favored his African troops over his European troops. so he kept his Africans in reserves while the Europeans bore the brunt of the fighting. Yusuf ibn tashfin's elite force were 6,000 Senegalese horse men on white chargers. 

Fun Fact: The Almoravids were armed with spears, African war drums and hippopotamus skin shields

Yusuf Ibn Tashifin riding a camel and Emperor ansa Musa of Mali.

Portrait of Mansa musa emperor of Mali and Yusuf ibn tashfin's cousin king Abu bakr (bubeder)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/15/2019 4:16 am
(@dessalinesthabrave)

According to the song of El Cid, Yusuf ibn tashfin used African war drums to terrify the Spanish population

“Que priessa va en los moros! E tornaronse a armar, ante rroido de atamores la tierra querie quebrar

What eagerness there was among the moors to arm themselves! And they could be seen ranging themselves to battle order. The noise of the drums seemed to make the earth quake. (696)

“Fincadas son las tiendas e parecen los alvores, a una grand priessa tanien los atamores

Day dawned over the Moorish camp, soon the moors began to beat their drums. (1668)

The large west African drums were strange to the Europeans

“antes d’estos quinze dias, si ploguiere al criador, aquellos atamores a vos los pondran delant e veredes quales son”

Before a fortnight is up (we shall capture) those war drums, please god, and I shall set them before you for you to see what they are like. (1665-1666)

“En ueste de los moros, los atamores sonando. A maravilla lo avien muchos dessos cristianos, ca nunca lo vieran, ca nuevos son llegados.

In the host of the moors, the drums are sounding. Many of the Christians wondered at it for they were  newly come and had not heard it.

Cantar de mio cid (2345-2347)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/15/2019 4:36 am
(@dessalinesthabrave)

When the African General Tarik ibn Zayd conquered all Spain from the straits of Gibraltar to the Pyrenees, the Arabs tried to steal his victory by telling him to halt until their governor Musa ibn Nusayr came to Spain with an Arab army to complete the conquest.

"Tarik then met him (Musa), and tried to satisfy him, saying: i am merely thy slave, this conquest is thine. Musa collected of the money a sum, which exceeded all description. Tarik delivered to him all that he had plundered. " pg 21-22

Musa ibn nusayr planned on taking the riches of Spain and execute Tarik. Tarik in response sent for the slave of the Caliph of Islam (Walid) to bring his case to him.

(Al-Walīd ibn ʿAbd al-Malik ibn Marwān was the caliph of the umayyad caliphate during Tarik's time. caliph is equivalent to the title emperor)

"Musa ibn nosseyr seized Tarik ibn amru (ibn zayd), bound him with fetters, imprisoned him, and thought of putting him to death. Mugheyth errumi being a slave of walid ibn elmalik (Caliph), Tarik wrote to him, saying, if thou wilt bring my case before walid, and say, that Andalus (Spain) was conquered by my hands, and that Musa has imprisoned me and that he wishes to put me to death, i will give thee a hundred slaves and he made him swear to that condition." pg 24-25

When Tarik arrived in the caliph's court he hid the leg of a table that he had extracted from Spain to prove his case of him being the real conqueror.

"It is said that by others, that Musa ibn nosseyr came to walid ibn abd-elmalik, while the latter was ill. Musa then gave him the table; but Tarik said, it was i that found it. Upon which Musa gave him the lie. Tarik then said to walid, call for the table, and see if it has any defect. Walid called for it and looked; and behold one of its legs did not correspond to the rest. Tarik said, question him O commander of the faithful, and if thou find in his account of  the matter a proof of his being right, then he is right. So Walid question him about the table; the latter said, so have i found it. Tarik produced the leg, which he had taken off, on finding the table, and said, may the commander of the faithful find therein  a proof of the truth of what i told him, and that it was i who found the table. Walid, then believed him, took his word, and valued his present." pg 26

Dhikr Fatḥ Al-Andalus =: Ibn Abd-el-Hakem's History of the Conquest of Spain

Note: It must be pointed out that the Moorish period was not exactly a glorious time for Africans because the Moors were under the tyranny of the Arabs and Persians. The fact that Tarik had to answer to an Arab proves this point. The Africans did not hold political power in Spain until the Almoravid and Almohad dynasties which were made up of Senegalese and black Berbers.  

Ancient and contemporary sources vividly describe Tarik and his army as black Africans.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/16/2019 3:56 pm
(@dessalinesthabrave)

If you take a closer look at the scenes from the movie El Cid you will notice that the Moors have African shields and spears. Hollywood, being a racist industry, could not hire black actors to play the Moors so they gave them these shields and spears to hint at the African origin of the Almoravid Moors 

ben yusuf (yusuf ibn tashfin) was a black man from Senegal. In the movie they made him white.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/19/2019 4:04 pm
(@dessalinesthabrave)

Steuben   Bataille de Poitiers

illustration of the battle of portiers made by charles de steuben in 1837, here the Muslim leader on the right is an Arab and the seven people behind, next to him or at his feet- except the white woman are all black.

The Arab who is leading the Moors is Abd al-Rahman ibn Abd Allah al-Ghafiqi (The African moors were under the Arab government at that time)

Charles Martel is the leader of the white Christians. 

This painting is the most accurate depiction of that battle and an accurate picture of the conquerors of Spain.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/22/2019 3:07 am
Page 3 / 3

Leave a reply

Maximum allowed file size is 128MB

Share: